Millbury Savings - News
News
Home Page > News

What's New

Millbury Savings Bank Donates $7,000 for Senior Van

Millbury Savings Bank recently donated $7,000 to the Friends of the Millbury Seniors, to be used toward the purchase of a new van for transporting the area’s elderly and disabled residents. This is the fifth such van the bank has helped fund in the last 10 years, totaling nearly $30,000 in contributions.

“Hundreds of our friends and neighbors rely on this transportation to get where they need to go to support their care and well-being,” said Robert J. Morton, the bank’s president and chief executive officer. “Once again, we’re proud to help the Friends of the Millbury Seniors continue this vital program.”

This new 14-passenger van will replace an older model and will be one of three vehicles currently owned and operated by the Friends. Each van, in addition to the two vans leased from the Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA), provides transportation to doctor’s appointments, shopping trips, and other errands for elderly and disabled residents within Millbury, Sutton, Grafton, Auburn and Worcester. They also provide the ADA service for the town of Millbury. In 2017, the van program transported over 350 area residents on nearly 13,000 one-way rides. While Friends receives a grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts covering 80 percent of the new van’s cost, the organization must rely on charitable donations to fund the remaining 20 percent.

“Over the years, Millbury Savings Bank has continually demonstrated their commitment to our seniors and disabled individuals,” said Judith O’Connor, executive director of the Council on Aging and coordinator of the Friends of the Millbury Seniors. “Their funding for this new van helps us maintain important services for those who need it most.”

Millbury Savings Bank President and Chief Executive Officer Robert J. Morton and Council on Aging Executive Director and Friends of the Millbury Seniors Coordinator Judith O’Connor.

iBanking
How can we help you?